Friday, January 15, 2010

Music for a philosophy of life

I'll be taking Mastery I early in February. The registration materials include this item:
In preparation for Mastery I, please choose a piece of music to bring on a CD to the program that summarizes your philosophy of life. This piece of music is to be clearly labeled with your name, the song title and the track number.
I have been agonizing over this for more than a week now. I'm realizing that I don't much listen to music with lyrics (I like to listen to music while I'm writing, and lyrics are a distraction). When I do listen to music with lyrics, it's usually something rollicking, like "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown." Fun stuff, but about as far as you can get from my philosophy of life.

A couple of years ago Seattle's Civic Light Opera put on Annie Get Your Gun. The actress who played Annie sang a rendition of Sun in the Morning that is a strong contender. Sweet as a sigh, heartfelt as a prayer. It resonates with me. But does it nail my philosophy of life?

I considered finding a piece of music without lyrics. Grieg's Morning Mood, say. I've loved that one since I was a kid. But the whole point is for the music to articulate my philosophy. If I have to write a speech to go with it, it kind of misses the point.

So... here's my philosophy of life, close as I know. Let me know if any piece of music that you know springs to mind.

I feel that the connections between living things are the truest reality, and that this world is a laboratory or classroom for learning the importance of those connections, and how to make and sustain them. We have bodies that need food, so that we can break bread together. We have beauty around us, so that we can share it and retell it. In this life, we learn to give and accept things we need, things that may sometimes be scarce. We sample fear and trust and betrayal and loyalty and anger and remorse. We learn love.

In a nutshell, we are here to pet the cat. And the cat is here to be a warm bundle in our arms, and soothe our hearts with purring. The rest is props and shop dressing.





1 comment:

Me said...

smstgood blog..nice artical publishing by you...appreciate on you...thanks for giving detail..

happy after reading your blog....


poultry